Top 10 Tequila Brands and Best Tequila
You could find shots of tequila being ordered at almost any bar or club on a weekend night. Tequila shots are common place at almost any nightlife spot, because of how fun it can be to shoot tequila Almost any tequila shot ordered involves limes, salt, and group shots. It’s always priceless to see your buddy’s cringe face. who any other time would be acting like a hard ass. Having the knowledge to order tequila is easy enough, the hard part is knowing what tequila brands are the best to go drink.
These tequila brands below offer a great start next time you’re at the bar and decide you want to roll the dice with tequila.
How to take a tequila shot?
Generally, when tequila is ordered, the bartender will serve the tequila shot with a cut lime slice and salt. The lime and salt is to be used when taking the shot.
- Lick your hand(or body part) and pour salt on it / Shot glass might already have salt on it>
- Take the lime in one hand
- Lick the salt from it’s location
- Shoot the tequila shot
- Bite down and suck on the lime slice.
Eat the worm?
It’s a pretty longstanding myth that tequila contains a worm in the bottle. This is actually false and Mezcal is known to contain the worm and other critters such as scorpions, etc. The reason the worm is added to mezcal is to show that the worm is being preserved by the bottle’s alcohol contents. There are various side myths believe that the worm gives strength to whomever eats it. We have no idea if this is true lol.
Types of tequila brands
- Tequila Blanco – white – silver – The tequila is clear and unaged. Tequila is bottled after the tequila has been distilled.
- Tequila Joven – gold – Similar to the tequila blanco process but various colorings and flavorings are added before the tequila is bottled.This tequila type is also known to include the mixture of blanco tequila with aged tequila.
- Tequila Anejo – Anejo is the next level of tequila aging. Anejo is aged for at least one year, and is usually aged from one to three years.
- Tequila Reposado – Wood aged tequila that has been aged in the wood for over 2 months and aged in the wood no longer than 12 months. The wood used for this aging process is known to differ between various tequila producing companies.
- Tequila extra anejo – This type of tequila was defined in 2005 and requires that the tequila has been aged for at least three years.
- Tequila liqueurs & cream – Tequila that is mixed with various flavorings or various creams.
Top 10 Tequila Brands
1. Casa Noble tequila crystal
Any best tequila brand list must include this amazing tequila brand. This tequila has a reputation for being hard to find, but this is the internet age. Anything can be found and purchased. This tequila is worth the search and our favorite tequila brand.
2. Don Eduardo Anejo or blanco Tequila
This is excellent tequila. This tequila is produced and distilled in Tequila, Mexico and is a tequila brand known for quality. This tequila brand is known for it’s dedication to perfection and having no detecable impurities.
3. Voodo tiki platinum Tequila
We feel this tequila is very underrated and even mentioned it on our most underrated liquors list. This tequila is known for holding true to the classic tequila process and taste. The producers of this tequila believe in not fiddling or messing with the tequila and keeping the process and untouched as possible, we respect that.
4. Hornitos Tequila
This tequila is great for shooting with friends and brings back tons of memories for us. Hornitos is smooth, strong, and tastes great.
5. Cabo Wabo Tequila
A tequila that was originally created and owned by former Van Halen frontman (post David-lee Roth) Sammy Hagar. Sammy sold a lrage stake in the company in 2007 for loads of cash (80 million?). Cabo Wabo is a great quality tequila and has proven it by winning multiple spirit tasting awards. We prefer this tequila to the much more popular Patron Tequila.
6. Patron silver Tequila
The most popular tequila on the planet right now? Patron sure is giving Jose Cuervo a run for its money in the popularity department. What isn’t lost though is that Patron is a quality tequila and very smooth. We would steer clear of this tequila in the nightlife scence, since various establishments are marking up the price on every Patron shot ordered because of the name.
7. Jose Cuervo Black Medallion Tequila
This is the anejo brand of Jose Cuervo, and is a great tequila. Jose might be a little too mainstream for some readers of this list, but this anejo offering is a great deal for the money.
8. 1800 silver Tequila
Anothe quality tequila that has gotten lost in the tequila marketing tactics of late.
9. Don Julio Tequila
This tequila seems to be a little more of an aquired taste and we love it.
10. Herradura Tequila
Not an overly popular tequila, but worth a try. We could see this tequila becoming more popular over time with more people discovering it.
Honorable Mentions: Sauza Gold tequila, 30-30 tequila, 1921 Tequila, Corzo silver Tequila
Best Flavored Tequila brands & Tequila liqueurs
- Mar Azul Banana Tequila
- Patron XO
- Mar Azul Almond Tequila
- 1921 Tequila cream
- Agave Loco Pepper Cured Tequila
- 267 Tequila infusion orange